Skip to main content

Dear Mom

Dear Mom, 

It's your birthday.  Mother's Day and I'd like to say thank you for a few things.

you're pretty
  1. For letting me say that my imaginary friend Jake was a real person and pretending not to know when I lied to your face about him cutting my bangs really short when I was 4 years old - yeah, that was me. 
  2. For letting me change my name to "Maria" in 2nd grade because I thought Hannah was a dumb name (and for basically saying the name you picked for me sucked.  ouch)  
  3. For not telling me that the optometrist knew I was lying when I tried to fake an eye test so I could get glasses like all the cool girls in my class.  That one really came back to bite me now that I'm 30 and can't see without my cool glasses or contacts. 
  4. For letting me be the only girl at my elementary school to try out for co-ed basketball and not being mad when I made it... and then decided I didn't want to do it. 
  5. For paying for years of piano lessons and taking me every Saturday even though you knew I couldn't read music and that I'd fake my way through my lesson playing by ear, but would still occasionally turn the page of my music book (in the wrong spots).  
  6. For singing the alto part with the radio in the car all the time. I think I could hear harmonies in my head before I could speak. 
  7. For letting me and my imagination run wild and going along with every new thing I dreamed up and wanted to become. 
  8. For saying you never had any money, but always having a secret $20 bill in your purse zipper pocket. 
  9. For telling me every day of my life that I was beautiful, especially on days when I didn't believe you.  
  10. For teaching me when to hold my tongue because sometimes silence is best.  
  11. For fixing my hair every time I cut it, permed it, crimped it, hot sticked it and dyed it.
  12. For listening to me cry when I have a broken heart.  
  13. For laughing with me when I am spilling over with happiness. 
  14. For listening to me scream and say irrational things when I'm angry. 
  15. For keeping the peace in a house full of men.  
  16. For crying tears of joy with me when I told you that you were going to be a grandma. 
  17. For coming over to give my baby his first bath because I was too scared. 
  18. For teaching me to be patient and kind and loving and forgiving. 
  19. For teaching me how to pray. 

cool stuffed dog, mom. 
corn flakes will fix anything


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Me

I made a very sweaty resolution on New Years Eve. I was with some of my closest friends and just after midnight we were discussing what we wanted in 2012.  For me it was a simple one word answer: Freedom. My resolution was sweaty because I had just lived out my dream of dancing in pajamas on NYE. To kick off freedom year, I wanted to dance with my friends and my husband... in pajamas... with a disco ball. I didn't want to be judged or self conscious and I definitely didn't want to be uncomfortable with pesky "real clothes" so the pajama dance party dream was brought to life by my friends and was executed to a level that I never imagined possible. Since that night I have intentionally started embracing my real self and doing something that frees me a little more each day.  This could be dancing, singing, making cookies at 11pm, NOT cleaning (I have a little cleaning obsession and many perfectly good Saturdays have been ruined by my cleaning projects and I say NO

so this one time in jail.

I've been to jail - twice.  I know what you're thinking, " preacher's kids " really ARE the worst!" I'm about to prove you right. I don't mind writing about this because I'm certain that someday when my husband runs for president, there is going to be some sort of background check and it's going to be so scandalous when they post my mugshot online and Entertainment Tonight starts airing the teaser for the story about Jason Riveiro's Wife Behaving Badly . I think it would be better if you hear it straight from me.   Early 20's Hannah was a heck of a lot of fun. You'd definitely want to hang out and party with her, but you wouldn't really want her to house-sit for you, run an errand for you, watch your kids, expect her to show up on time, return your phone call, pay you back that money she owed you or trust that she would do anything remotely responsible in any way. Once I was out from under the watchful, responsible ey

Bible College Adventures

I graduated high school at 16 years old, not because I was extra smart, but simply because I hated high school so much. I worked hard to get out of there as fast as possible.  I've always been a little older and cooler in my head so I felt like high school was a complete waste of my valuable time. I graduated in May, turned 17 in August and started Bible College in September.   Looking back, I wasn't even mature enough to be left at home alone, much less be in another state... at College.  Indiana Bible College: scene of the crime(s) A few days after getting settled in, there were auditions being held for "Chorale" (which was like a mini-choir that got to go on tours, etc).  I went down to the music department office and shamelessly dropped the names of my cousins who were chorale alumni in hopes of getting in with the "right" people  (I'd always had a knack for being friends with the right people. Every time I changed schools as a kid, I would s